Snort mailing list archives

Re: Using snort to process a TCPDump file

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2003 19:03:40 -0500

Well, first, it would be impossible for snort to use redirected output from plane-jane tcpdump > mycapture. By default most of the packet data is missing and what's left isn't enough to be very useful to snort. However if you use tcpdump -w to generate a raw-binary dump file, snort can process it with snort. If you also need tcpdump plain-text data, you can convert the raw binary using tcpdump -r.

see man snort:

       -r tcpdump-file
              Read the tcpdump-formatted file tcpdump-file.  This
              will  cause  Snort to read and process the file fed
              to it.  This is useful if, for instance, you've got
              a  bunch  of  SHADOW files that you want to process
              for content, or even  if  you've  got  a  bunch  of
              reassembled  packet fragments which have been writ-
              ten into a tcpdump formatted file.

and man tcpdump:

     -w file
           Write the raw packets to file rather than parsing and printing them
           out.  They can be analyzed later with the -r option.  Standard out-
           put is used if file is `-'.