Snort mailing list archives

My Acid/MySQL setup is mega slow.

From: Aaron The Young <acyoung () nysernet org>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 15:38:18 -0500

Hi,

I have two Snort sensors setup and both are on PII-333 with 256MB
machines running Debian 3.0.  On one sensor I have MySQL and the sensor
and the other JUST has the sensor and feeds the sensor/sql DB
host.

Am I foolish to think I'd get adequate performance out of this
level of hardware?

The real delay is seen when entering ACID.  When I first started
this project, it took about 20 seconds for ACID to give me a
page when I logged in, now it takes minutes and seems to get
longer and longer as I load up my SQL database with data.

If I need to get a more power SQL server, I'd like confirmation.
If it's just a matter of tuning, what can I do?  Finally, is there
an easy SQL statement to drop the last 30 days of data from my DB?

Thanks in advance.

Aaron
  ~

Aaron C. Young, MS