Snort mailing list archives

Re: scan.log file

From: Scott Fringer <fringsm () is2 hsnet ufl edu>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 07:38:53 -0500 (EST)

Jon,
  spp_portscan2 generates the traffic that ends up in scan.log.  So, yes,
it should be portscan traffic that gets there.  If you are seeing
legitimate traffic ending up there, try adding the following to your
snort.conf:

preprocessor portscan2-ignorehosts: [hosts-to-ignore]

<follows the same arguments as most variables, i.e. HOME_NET, etc.>

That should keep them from showing up (though I've heard mixed results on
the list, it does work for me here)

Scott

Scott Fringer                              Shands Healthcare @ U.F.
Technical Analyst II                       Gainesville, FL