Snort mailing list archives

Re: Using Spade

From: James Hoagland <jim () SiliconDefense com>
Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2003 20:45:28 -0800

At 9:05 AM -0800 2/9/03, Mahdi Kefayati wrote:
In the Name of the Dearest

I know about snortsnarf but as far as I know it works on local logs not database.

SnortSnarf can read from a Snort database as well (even with Oracle with the latest SnortDBInput).

also I'm not shore about its statistical analysis- I mean calculating correlation between alerts from multiple sensors and so on besides understandable graphs based on the logs.

SnortSnarf does some correlation, but it is pretty simple (e.g., grouping things with the same source IP or the same signature together).

Also snortsnarf works on logs but Spade is a anomaly detection

SnortSnarf can process Spade reports from log or from a database. In fact, it presents Spade alerts in a special section.

, and i think snort has no other such a plug-in.

As far as I know, Spade is the only statistical anomaly detector available for Snort.

Kind regards,

  Jim
--
|*     Jim Hoagland, Associate Researcher, Silicon Defense     *|
|*    --- Silicon Defense: The Cyberwar Defense Company ---    *|