Snort mailing list archives

Re: Does "log" still alert?

From: twig les <twigles () yahoo com>
Date: Sat, 8 Feb 2003 11:42:33 -0800 (PST)

--- "Schmehl, Paul L" <pauls () utdallas edu> wrote:
I've created a rule for resetting connections that we don't
want to
allow.  After making sure it worked, I changed the rule action
from
alert to log.  I was expecting this to mean that I would no
longer see
this rule showing up in ACID, but I still do.  What does log
mean?  I
thought it meant log, but don't alert.

Look thru the archive.  Marty posted an answer about this a long
time ago that explains the difference between log and alert and
how the database plugin is a strange purgatory-like beast.

On a more general note, how do you handle the load of alerts
you get?  I
see two ways.  Either you disable many of the standard
rulesets, or you
customize them and don't update them very regularly.  Since
I'm updating
rules daily, the second option really isn't any option.  Is
there
another way to do it?  I'd rather not create a whole raft of
custom
rules, but if I disable or alter one of the standard rules, it
will just
be overwritten the next time that the rules are updated.

How are people handling that?

Get oinkmaster.  It's a pearl script with a conf file that
allows you to update your ruleset via cron or whatever and have
signatures automagically commented out based on the signature ID
(SID).  If you're at all familiar with *nix and can read it
takes about 15 minutes to dl, unpack and use.

As for making your own rules and having them overwritten, just
create a new rules file and add it to snort.conf.  I use
"custom.rules", which never get updated cause the snort ruleset
doesn't (and prolly never will) have anything named that.

Paul Schmehl (pauls () utdallas edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas
http://www.utdallas.edu/~pauls/