Snort mailing list archives

Re: Handling of a 1 or 2 GB pipe?

From: Yaakov Yehudi <yehudi () tehila gov il>
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2003 08:24:55 +0200

I believe that the Snortfire version of Snort, is available in a configuration which will handle this about of traffic.

At  Friday  31/01/2003  15:00, Edin Dizdarevic wrote:
Hi,

Travis S. wrote:
Snort-Users,
I am considering using Snort to monitor traffic on a 1 Gbps internet link, so the combined throughput of the monitored traffic would be 2 Gbps. The average load is 1 Gbps (combined) and it wouldn't be surprising to see constant levels of above 1.5 Gbps. The most likely implementation will involve mirroring a switch port to receive the data. The network is over 60 subnets, with 50,000+ hosts. How well would Snort handle reviewing packets of such a link? I basically want to pick apart packets and examine a few key bytes to determine the application that is used to send the data. I'm not sure if it's possible to do this on-the-fly, or if it would be better to log the data and analyze from disk. Has anyone done similar things? Any comments on hardware requirements? Comments overall about the concept? Operating system suggestions (and version?)?

We diskussed such problems a few weeks ago. IMHO the problem should
be to capture that amount of data. No illusions about realtime-
analyzing so much traffic. You will need to buffer it, at least to
back up the traffic peaks. Btw: No IDS available can probably
provide the performance you need.