Snort mailing list archives

Re: resp and root

From: Chris Green <cmg () sourcefire com>
Date: Tue, 04 Feb 2003 12:09:33 -0500

Paul Schmehl <pauls () utdallas edu> writes:

Has anyone found a different way to open a raw socket through libnet
other than running snort as root?  I want to try tcp resets, but I'm not
to keen on running snort as root.  Any wrapper scripts that could be
used for this purpose?  Is there any consideration for getting snort to
start as root and the drop privileges after it has the socket open?

The snort privilege dropping code doesn't have a hook for plugins to
use before and after privs are dropped.

It'd be nice but if you really want to do that, you can always hack in
some cap bits for raw sockets depending on your platform.
--
Chris Green <cmg () sourcefire com>