Snort mailing list archives

Re: Where do I find flex-resp?

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: Mon, 03 Feb 2003 22:36:30 -0500

1) flexresp is a configure-time option of snort.. it's not a separate download if you're compiling from source, but if you're downloading precompiled binaries, you'll have to download the one that was configured with flexresp support.

If your compiling from the source code:
   ./configure --enable-flexresp

If you are using binaries for Linux, get a RPM with +flexresp as part of the filename from http://www.snort.org/dl/binaries/1.9.0/

If you are using binaries for win32, the guys at silicondefense.com have a pretty extensive installer which allows you to set up a version with flexresp support. (note: please only pick ONE type of snort to install for simplicity sake). The win32 precompiled binary on the main snort website does not do flexresp.

http://www.silicondefense.com/software/snort_windows_installer/index.htm

2) In stealth mode, flexresp might not work, the interface must be able to send packets. I'm not sure how a stealth interface will deal with attempts to send packets even though flexresp is not using the normal IP stack mechanisms to send them. Try it, see what happens, let me know ;)

3) flexresp does not require being inline. Only firewall-reconfig type snort setups line snort-inline require that.