Snort mailing list archives

Re: The order that rules are processed in?

From: twig les <twigles () yahoo com>
Date: Sat, 1 Feb 2003 20:06:09 -0800 (PST)

I keep all custom rules in a file called (oddly
enough) custom.rules.  That way they never get
overwritten when updating rules.  If you write a rule
with bad syntax then Snort will error and fail to
start.  If your syntax is right but the logic is wrong
....  I don't think the order of rules files called in
snort.conf is important but I could be wrong on that
one.

--- "Schmehl, Paul L" <pauls () utdallas edu> wrote:
Before you groan and point me to the FAQ and
archives, I've been looking
for these for a while, and I've already been through
the FAQ and the
archives.... :-)

I just installed Version 1.9.0 (Build 209) on a
FreeBSD 4.7 box (from
the ports, not compiled from source on snort.org)
logging to mysql and
using ACID to view (works great, btw).  Thanks to
Keith Tokash for a
great installation guide!  I only had a couple of
problems due to
changes between FreeBSD 4.6 and 4.7, but nothing
major.

I'm trying to find out in what order snort processes
the rules.  Is it
in the order that they are listed in snort.conf?
Right now I'm writing
pass rules (using vars for specific hosts - like
this - var
ICMP_DEST_UNRCH [x.x.x.x,x.x.x.x]) to get rid of
alerts for things we
don't want to see from specific hosts (we know the
router is going to
spew these, for example.)  I'm putting the pass
rules at the beginning
of the rule file (like icmp.rules) and I'm starting
snort with the -o
switch to process the pass rules first

My edits of these files will get overwritten when I
update, right?  If I
knew local.rules was processed first by placing it
first in the
snort.conf file, I'd put these in there and move it
to the top of the
list, and then I'd put all my pass rules in
local.rules.  Does it matter
where local.rules is in snort.conf?

Also, if you create a bad rule (improper syntax,
misspelled args, etc.,
does snort log that anywhere?  Will it even start if
a rule is written
incorrectly?  Will it ignore the bad rule?

Paul Schmehl (pauls () utdallas edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas
http://www.utdallas.edu/~pauls/