Snort mailing list archives

Re: SnortCenter and existing init s

From: "larc" <larc () pandora be>
Date: Fri 31 Jan 2003 18:21:38 +0100

Hi,

It's best that you don't change snortcenter but change your init script.
Change your script to something like this.

cmd_line=`cat "/etc/snort/snort_cmd_line.eth0"`
snort -D -i eth0 $cmd_line

if you start snort like this with your init script you still have the same snort settings and you will also be able to
encrypt the Mysql traffic.
When you you use the management console to stop or restart snort, the ssh tunnel will still be active.

Hope this helps,
Stefan

------------------------
 "McGuire, Dennis" <dmcguire () brierley com> wrote:
------------------------
All, I have an existing distributed IDS infrastructure (snort
1.8.7/ACID/MySQL) that I am now trying to manage using SnortCenter.  I have
existing customized init scripts on the sensors that I want to have
SnortCenter use - this is because I forward port 3306 over ssh for traffic
back to the centralized snort db, and the up/down of the tunnel is done
within the init script for snort.

It seems that SnortCenter doesn't use the init scripts on the sensor, at
least from observation and reading sensor.php and index.cgi.  Has anyone
customized SnortCenter to use existing init scripts, or am I on my own?

Thanks,
Dennis

SnortCenter and existing init scripts on sensors