Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort slurps memory

From: Erek Adams <erek () snort org>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 09:04:22 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 31 Jan 2003, Maarten de Vries wrote:

If this has been discussed before I apologize, but I haven't found an answer
in the archives so far.

It's there...  I know, I've answered it before.  ;-)

Ever since we upgraded to 1.9.0, the amount of memory Snort uses has
increased dramatically. The total size of the process was never more than
about 8Mb, however, Snort now seems to occupy around 50Mb.
Can anyone tell me why the process has grown so incredibly large?

Yep.  Sure can.  spp_conversation and spp_stream4.  They both grab large
chunks of memory to handle all of the stateful detection and flow
information.  Check the FAQ [0] for a question regarding how to configure
it.

To be honest, I wouldn't worry about it.  You've got enough memory for
that ~50MB not to be a problem unless you're on a heavily used (bunch
of other apps) box.

Cheers!

-----
Erek Adams