Snort mailing list archives

Re: Pass Rules Questions

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 15:47:07 -0500

First, pass rules will not affect spp_portscan2, or any other preprocessor. Pass rules affect the traffic seen by other rules. If you want to filter stuff so that the preprocessors don't see them, you'll have to do that with bpf type filtering.

Now the source of the "scan" is www.xxx.yyy.zzz.. but that's not part of your IGNORE_PORTSCAN set.

Thus, www.xxx.yyy.zzz is being reported as scanning because the pass rule does not affect preprocessors, and the source of the scan is not in your ignore set.

That said, I've been having considerable difficulty making spp_portscan2 behave in a sane manner. It fires off as detecting a "syn-ack" scan every time a web browser in my network opens a web-page with more embedded images than the port_limit in the portscan2 preprocessor is set to, somehow neglecting to pay attention to the fact that the connection was initaited from HOME_NET first. I've actually disabled portscan2 in favor of spade which is much more flexible, and reasonable about it's behavior.