Snort mailing list archives

Re:Easy web-server protection?

From: Shaiful <shaifuljahari () yahoo com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 22:36:15 -0800 (PST)

Hi,

Snort is an Intrusion Detection System (IDS) not
Intrusion Prevention System (IPS). You need something
like hogwash or snort-inline to drop the attack.

Below is the copy of my email to focus-ids early this
morning regarding the similar matter. Hope it helps.

Regards,
Shaiful

Hi,

I've never tried snort-inline but I believed the
concept is similar to hogwash.

If you want information about similar arrangement,
just search for hogwash implementation.  Last time I
checked there are quite a few.

For the last Code Red worm outbreak, I've used
hogwash and block Code Red. IMHO, Code Red is worst
since it uses port 80 which normally open at the
firewall.

Running hogwash make me think why on earth the idea
of
stopping application attack at layer 2 or 3 is not
popular before.  Actually I've been waiting for
hogwash like program one year before it is released
and mostly due to my poor coding skill. The idea is
quite old if you bother to search snort mailing
list.
But looking at hogwash code, then I realised it is
not
really rocket science ;-)

Regards,
Shaiful