Snort mailing list archives

Route Null

From: "Zymophideth" <zymophideth () hotmail com>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 12:28:13 -0800

The best way to stop specific IPs without using an ACL is just
setting up a null device on your router. Then routing that address to
the null device. That way any return traffic gets sent to the null
device rather than back to the internet. Sure this won't stop all
attacks but any that require return traffic.

ip route 192.168.0.1 null0 (or something to that effect, haven't had
to do it in a while)

What's also good about this method is you can still watch what the
attacker is doing and how your computers respond with snort without
fear of compromise. The attacker learns nothing, you learn
everything, effective and educational, you gotta love it.