Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort and Kazaa 2.0

From: Frank Knobbe <fknobbe () knobbeits com>
Date: 22 Oct 2002 22:52:01 -0500

On Tue, 2002-10-22 at 20:03, Sam Evans wrote:
Based on what we have seen, it no longer uses the 1214 port for it's
traffic.  (Although, it does use it sometimes.. )  Wierd.

Anyway, we have come up with a rule that seems to work very well for the new
Kazaa.   YMMV though..

This is for snort 1.8.7 (but should work for 1.9.0).

alert tcp any any -> any any (msg: "P2P Kazaa File Transfer"; content:
"X-Kazaa"; rev: 1;)

What we have seen, is that even though the new Kazaa doesn't use the
standard 1214, the protocol still utilizes the X-Kazaa tag for it's
transfers.  While this rule will not alert you as to when someone is
searching for a file, it will alert when someone initiates a transfer
session.  (Multiple times quite possibly, depending on the packet).

Can you define an offset or some other characteristic that would avoid
false positives? I mean, this email alone would trigger that rule... :)

Regards,
Frank