Snort mailing list archives

Re: False positives

From: Gary Verhulp <garyv () cips nokia com>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 12:08:40 -0700

ahh.
you are right. www.screensavers.com was the trigger.
No reg ex.

So now what?

ext Chris Green wrote:
Gary Verhulp <garyv () cips nokia com> writes:

That's what I'm sayin'
:)
I've determined that I have a false positive i.e. I've examined the
packets and I have  reliable instances of False positives.

For instance <possible  .scr worm> is triggered by .scr
which, as I understand it, reads as any character followed by "scr"

actually it's ".scr".  Those aren't regular expressions on your
screen! So its anytime the 4 byte pattern .scr is found