Snort mailing list archives

RE: Snort doesn't appear to be looking at everything on our network

From: "Wayne T Work" <securitygauntlet () snet net>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 12:52:23 -0400

This does not appear to be a problem with snort as much as it is a
visibility issue on the PC you are running snort on. Snort does NOT
inherently see across a switched network. I would go get WinDump. A windows
Sniffer or Ethereal and run it to see what traffic your NIC is seeing.
Ethereal is very good. This will verify the you systems visibility. Also,
since you running Windows, make sure that your NIC is in promiscuous mode.

Good luck,

Wayne