Snort mailing list archives

Re: snort and network tap

From: Jeff Nathan <jeff () snort org>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 13:19:49 -0700

Hi Peter,

your finisar, formerly shomiti, network tap will split the transmit pair
from either side of a connection into its own port.

I've made an attempt to illustrate this here:
http://www.snort.org/docs/100Mb_tapping1.pdf

Connecting the two tap ports to a hub would hypothetically work in that
each Ethernet frame received is broadcast to all ports.  Imagining that the
tap connected to the hub would use two ports on the hub with a third port
connected to an interface on a system running snort, you would see both
sides of the connection.

In the context of TCP stream reassembly, it's basically essential that you
see both sides of a connection otherwise stream reassembly is much less
effective and nearly impossiible.

One method of using a tap is illustrated in the aforementioned pdf, where
the two tap ports are connected to a switch.  The two ports on the switch
are then  set-up to copy all the Ethernet frames they receive to a third
port, usually called a SPAN port in Cisco nomenclature.  If the SPAN port
is also 100Mb, this port can be saturated with traffic as a full-duplex
100Mb Ethernet connection can transmit 100Mb in *each direction*.
Alternatively, you could use a Gigabit interface for your SPAN port and
hypothetically avoid any port saturation issues:

http://www.snort.org/docs/100Mb_tapping2.pdf

Another method, described in the archives of this mailing list, involves
using interface bonding or bridging.  Depending on your Operating System,
you can combine two interfaces into a third "virtual" interface which you
could then use for snort's packet capture (you would specify this interface
using the -i command line switch).  Depending on your Operating System and
environment, this might work well although this approach has not yet been
well tested to my knowledge.

Good luck.

- -Jeff

- --On Wednesday, October 16, 2002 12:06:34 -0500 Peter Erickson