Snort mailing list archives

Re: please help ID payload info

From: Robby Desmond <rdesmond () els ucsb edu>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 10:00:18 -0700

At 09:46 AM 10/15/02 -0600, Randy Bey wrote:
I am getting a WEB-MISC /etc/passwd hit occasionally, and it has me
worried. How the heck are they getting what looks like the contents of
the /etc directory?

To me, it looks like Snort is sniffing traffic related to system administration tasks. My box doesn't fire when FreeBSD emails me the nightly alerts, but if your scripts run over the web, then they could trigger it.

I don't understand how it gets there, I have authentication set up on
the server, so a plain old HEAD shouldn't work, but the payload looks
like the output of an email that is routinely sent out with the 'ASET'
job that I run daily. ASET is a Solaris thingie that does some HIDS
stuff.

Again, I haven't had my Tripwire reports trigger alerts, but it might be because of how they are sent.

I looked in access_log on the web server and all I see is 401's
(authentication required) for all HEAD type requests. So why is this
data here?
<SNIP!>

Well, my thinking is that your ASET tool is doing reporting over a channel that Snort monitors. And since the content matches the /etc/passwd rule, it triggers an alert.

I would check to see if the time of the alert corresponds to the time when ASET runs.

Does ASET generate web-based reports by any chance?

-Robby

Robert Desmond
Systems Administrator
UCSB Extended Learning Services