Snort mailing list archives

Re: Rule help with multiple port negation

From: Alberto Gonzalez <ag-snort () cerebro violating us>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 22:11:58 -0700

Im assuming you want to log _EVERYTHING_ except whats headed to dst port 80,443,110 right? in your example you have that them as your 'src' port. on the left hand side of the direction operator you could try port negation via 'ranges' like so !80:443 only a handful of services run in between..
but you would probably MISS alot....

I know you can specify multiple IP address via [x.x.x.x/32,x.x.x.x/32]
I checked the manual, i only saw port negation via ranges.. not multiple "!" ...
I could be wrong, tell me if I am.. take care

hope it helps ( wee 2 cents free )
- Albert

McKim, Tim wrote:

I want to create a rule that ignores three ports but alerts on everything
else.

Something like
alert tcp !$HOME_NET (!80 && !443 && !110) -> $HOME_NET any ..........

I just haven't been able to find what the correct syntax is or if it is even
possible. If anyone knows how to do this I would appreciate the help.

Thanks, Tim

--
The secret to success is to start from scratch and keep on scratching.