Snort mailing list archives

Re[2]: Can't set logdir in 1.9.0

From: Erek Adams <erek () theadamsfamily net>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 02:43:31 -0700 (PDT)

Ok, it's late and I'm tired so I might be a bit crazy on this.  :)

On Wed, 16 Oct 2002, Serge Leschinsky wrote:

[...snip...]

Hmmm... I've temporary resolved this trouble in the following way: -l /log \
and I've create /log directory. The error with "log directory 'log' does not
exist" disappeared. I can't understand why chroot settings
(/var/chroot/snort) aren't applied. Strangely enough that the existents of
-s options doesn't exert influence on errors message.

So, when logdir trouble disappeared I got new error message
Oct 15 15:40:53 builder-host snort: FATAL ERROR: ERROR
/etc/rules/bad-traffic.rules (12) => Couldn't resolve hostname HOME_NET
The variable $HOME_NET is defined. 8-((

I think that you're seeing a problem with chroot.  Your first (logdir) problem
could be caused by it.  If that's the true, then your second problem might be
due to your /etc/snort.conf inside your chroot jail.  That's the only thing
that I can think of that would give both errors when you know you're setting
it up in the right way.

Rebuild snort via './configure --enable-debug'.  Then set the environment
variable 'SNORT_DEBUG' to one of the values in <snortdir>/src/debug.h.  I'd
suggest DEBUG_INIT and/or DEBUG_CONFIGRULES.  If you use the -D flag, it
should create a /tmp/snort.debug file with all sorts of output in there.  I'd
check the output and see what directories are being opened.  That might narrow
things down some.

I'm very sorry for troubling community with these stupid questions but I
can't start 1.9.0 myself. It may seem strange, I have almost no
problem  with snort 1.8.x.

;-)  Heh.  You're not troubling, you're asking.  You've actually worked on
finding the answer!  :)

I'm going to guess that something was changed on your setup from 1.8.x to
1.9.0.  In my upgrade, I didn't run into any sort of issues.  There have been
some people who've had issues, but in many of those cases it's been due to
config issues.  :-/  As I've said before, 'I tend to play the law of
averages.'

Ok, I've rambled enough.  It's time to go to bed.  :)  And of course if I'm
crazy, clueless or just drain brammaged from lack of sleep, I'm sure someone
will (I hope!) correct me.

G'nite!

-----
Erek Adams