Snort mailing list archives

Windows + Snort + ISA server question

From: "Chris Willis" <cwillis () chriswillis tzo com>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 05:49:59 -0700

System:

Win2K server SP3
Microsoft ISA server SP1
Snort 1.9.0 4 Windows
Oct 2002 snort stable rules
MySQL 3.23.52
Acid 0.96B
WinPCAP 2.3

Acid is showing plenty of alerts generated from my internal network
(proxy scans by firewall clients, for example).  However, I have no
alerts generated from the internet.

I run snort using '-i 1 -c snort.conf -l c:\snort\logs' (1 is my
interface plugged into the router).  I have run Shadowscan + NetIQ
security scanners against my machine, plus a regular port scan.  Not a
single alert was generated, even though both security scanners reported
back correctly with open ports, OS fingerprint, vulernabilities, etc...

Any ideas?  I did notice that WinPCAP does not show in the NIC properties
dialoge boxes.  Should I revert to 2.02 (which did show up in my NIC
properties).

Chris