Snort mailing list archives

regex

From: "Fabio Panigatti" <bio () despammed com>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 13:12:40 +0200

How many characters a "*" can match with regex? It seems like
there's a maximum number of characters after which the regexp
doesn't match the pattern anymore (about five characters).
Is it true or I missed something?
If it is true, is there a compile time option (or a patch) to
extend this limit?

Only one example: a regex rule 'content: "hello*world";' will
match the string hello1234world but it won't match the string
hello123456world.

I'm sorry, but I'm not skilled enough to fully understand the
c code of the snort sources.

Fabio

PS: yes, I know that my english language skills need a lot of
    improvement too :)