Snort mailing list archives

Re: Multiple Sensors to 1 DB Server

From: Dragos Ruiu <dr () dursec com>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 19:19:59 +0000

Watch the insert speed, it not only slows down as the DBs get bigger
but it tops out around about 500-700 alerts per second for MySQL
on typical machines.

One nice solution for this is to use nitrodata.com's high-speed database
(When I was there, Soucefire was using this, I'll let them comment about
their new stuff)  which can achieve and order of magnitude faster
performance at about 5000 inserts per second. Talk to Jed Haile,
at Nitro Data, he knows a lot about this stuff and can probably tell
you how to test the boundary conditions...

cheers,
--dr