Snort mailing list archives

RE: Basic snort setup for traffic analysis

From: "Nanabhay Mohamed * Group (GP)" <MohamedN () Transnet co za>
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2002 11:15:08 +0200

I want to run snort on a network for about 5 days and then use snortsnarf
(or anything else someone can recommend) to analyse what sort of traffic
is
going through the network.

You're using the wrong tool.  :)

Use Ntop[0] or iptraf[1].  They should show you exactly what's going on.

Erm...I think I was a bit vague in what I meant by analysing traffic. What I
*really* need to do is analyse any attacks (if any)on the network over that
period of time...

Sorry for the that. Any ideas?

Mohamed