Snort mailing list archives

RE: Snort portscan false positives?

From: "Beckett, Josh" <JBeckett () enviance com>
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2002 15:04:51 -0700

That would depend on sensor placement.

Example of my own configuration stumble...
Sensor's listening interface was placed outside of the firewall, but I
was using $HOME_NET value of IP's behind the firewall.

Well, from the sensor's perspective, the private IP's were never seen
since the firewall did NAT, and the alerts were all messed up.

The sensor doesn't ignore it, but you do have to remember what the
sensor is capable of seeing due to its placement in the architecture.