Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort-inline question

From: Alberto Gonzalez <albertg () cerebro violating us>
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2002 01:37:47 -0800

I personally haven't used snort-inline. But Hogwash doesn't use iptables to drop packets. If you successfully compiled snort-inline then your good to go. IIRC it will only drop packets
in NIDS mode[1], not sniffing mode etc......

Cheers,
   Alberto Gonzalez

[1] Which seems the logical thing todo.. or no?

Amit Kumar Gupta wrote:

Hi List,

I am having some queries abtSnort-inline. Here they are :-

(1) While installing snort-inline whether i have to mention libipq

 directorty. If i don't mention, even then it goes fine. Does it mean

 that it has taken it from the appropriate path.

(2) snort-inline has the hogwash functionality. So does it mean that

it uses iptables. Another thing is Snort-inline is supposed to sit inline

and prevent malicious packets. How does it do it. Is there any specific command

 for it to do this.

(3) I have successfully installed snort-inline, and using snort

commands. So does it mean that whenever i will run snort command in

 any one of the mode(sniffing, IDS, logging), the malicious packets

 will be dropped.

Please give your suggestions and views.

Regards,

Amit

--
The secret to success is to start from scratch and keep on scratching.