Snort mailing list archives

Re: HTTP_SERVERS variable length

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2002 14:50:06 -0500

I think you'll hit performance limits long before input limits.

In general snort performance is SEVERELY degraded by having multiple entries in a coma delimited list for a IP specifier. You probably don't ever want to have more than 10.

However it is not degraded by using CIDR blocks, so if your HTTP servers happen to fit into the same block of IPs, or a couple of blocks, you should consider doing so.

ie:
var HTTP_SERVERS [192.168.1.0/24]

or maybe a couple of CIDR blocks:

var HTTP_SERVERS [192.168.1.0/28,192.168.3.0/24,192.168.5.4/31]

Do you really have 150 HTTP servers all at non-consecutive IP addresses?? I can't imagine that makes for a reasonable easy-to-maintain network. If nothing else your router config must be an insane rats nest, or a wide-open hole, if that's the case.