Snort mailing list archives

Re: snortd error

From: Incidents <incidents () attbi com>
Date: 22 Dec 2002 22:15:13 -0800

I'm still having troubles getting snortd to start, so I reinstalled the
1.90beta6 build from snort.org. Now when I execute snort I receive this
error.

ERROR: Unable to open rules file: /root/.snortrc or /root//root/.snortrc

I cannot find this reference or file anywhere. I thought maybe it was
reading some other rules files. I've been following the snort-mysql-acid
guide on snorts docs page and something that should be a no-brainier is
really hurting my brain. It dosen't help that my knowledge of Linux is
small, but growing. One other thing...that guide is for RedHat 7.3 and
I'm using 8.0. From what I can tell, everything should be relatively
similar. Am I wrong?

Thanks for the input.

    make sure your script is executable
    if not, chmod +x etc ...