Snort mailing list archives

Re: _PATH_VARRUN

From: Olaf Schreck <chakl () syscall de>
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2002 15:10:36 +0100

What exactly is _PATH_VARRUN?

I'm compiling Snort on SGI Irix, and i get this in syslog:

WARNING: _PATH_VARRUN is invalid, trying /var/log...

It's a constant defined in a header file on some but not all Unixen.
For example, Linux and OpenBSD have it defined while IRIX doesn't.
Applications check this in order to find out where they should put
their PID files, usually /var/run.

Without looking at the snort source code, I'd assume snort can not find
that #define in the IRIX header files, and resorts to a hardcoded value
of /var/log.

If you don't care about a snort.pid file in /var/log, just ignore that
warning.  If you really don't like that, you could manually throw in
a line '#define _PATH_VARRYN "/var/run" into the snort.h header file.

ciao,
chakl