Snort mailing list archives

Barnyard Options Help Needed!

From: Kevin Peuhkurinen <kevin.peuhkurinen () hepcoe com>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 16:21:16 -0500

Hi all. I've decided to start using Barnyard and need some help with some of the options.

First, Snort creates two unified files; an alert and a log file. However, when I tell Barnyard to use the alert file (with -f), the packet data is not sent to the database. If I tell Barnyard to use the log file, nothing gets sent to the database. The output plugin used is alert_acid_db, with the "detail full" setting. How do I tell Barnyard to send alerts with full packet data to the database?

Secondly, I can't seem to figure how to get any of the other output plugins to work. I want to use alert_fast and log_pcap, but the files are not being created. I've tried starting Barnyard with "-L /var/log/snort" but this seems to do nothing. I tried putting a filename after the "output alert_fast" in the conf file, but then it complains that it doesn't know about this plugin. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!