Snort mailing list archives

RE: Alert OR syslog?

From: "Weiss, Jeffrey H." <Jeffrey.Weiss () Pleasantco com>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2002 10:56:32 -0700

Hi, Alberto,
Thanks for your response.
Reasons for 3 types of logging (may not be good reasons):
1. Binary format allows analysis tools be leveraged (snortsnarf).
2. Alert log provides local easily perused/tailed indicator of nasties and
falsies.
3. Syslog entries can be directed off-server to a remote central logging
server.
I could work without the alert log but don't understand why enabling syslog
disables it.

Not sure I understand your blame_cmg...new flag?
Thanks,
Jeffrey