Snort mailing list archives

massive scans

From: "Steve Moran" <steve.moran () csssoftware com>
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2002 10:10:25 -0700

Lately I've seen some odd port 80 scans, these scans have been setting
off somewhere in the neighborhood of 160-250 different snort signatures.
There have been 3 of these scans.  One to my mail server, which is on
one class c network ( a 198 network), the other two where to an entirely
different class c (a 65 network).  These scans are very efficient, ie
only 1-3 packets per type of exploit.  They are not targeted, ie they
are looking for any exploit, lotus, windows, apache, anything.  One
admin said he found an executable called network32 on his dns server and
many registry entries to have it automatically start.  It was in the
win32\label directory.  The second attack was from italy, from what
appears to be some small italian town's website ( I don't speak or read
italian so I'm not entirely sure), but I have not gotten any response
from requests for help regarding the scan.  I'm still collecting info on
the third and latest scan.  I don't think I'm being deliberately
targeted, as these scans are way too noisy, personally, if it was me,
I'd at least take the time to do some recon and tailor my attack to the
type of web server.
As nothing has been comprosmised and no damage done, law enforcement
doesn't really care.  As there are close to 1000 packets and, like I
said 160-250 different types of attacks, reporting them is very hard,
and no one really seems to care (no damage).
Is anyone else seeing this sort of traffic lately?  I have 3 snort
sensors, and they've been running for close to 2 years, and these
attacks have registered on two different sensors, running different
versions of snort, so I doubt its a snort freak out that's caused this.
Is any one aware of some sort of new bug doing this?