Snort mailing list archives

RE: Snort error ...

From: Erek Adams <erek () theadamsfamily net>
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2002 07:20:27 -0800 (PST)

[Moved from snort-devel to snort-users since it's not a development
related problem.]

On Fri, 29 Nov 2002, Wilson Aitan wrote:

I just follow configuration from snort installation manual provide by Steven
J. Scott and to start it must use like below.

/usr/local/bin/snort -U -d -D -c /etc/snort/snort.conf

But can't work :(

Ok, what do you mean?  What errors are reported?  You may want to try
moving the -D to the end of the line and if you are using binary logging
remove the -d.

Now after I just use /usr/local/bin/snort -c /etc/snort/snort.conf its work.
Thanks. But I can't configure that from Webmin cause Webmin still have
message :

Snort does not appear to be running
(If you know Snort is running, check the PID file setting in the module
configuration)

and in ACID still have nothing appear :(

Or do you guys know the link (tools) for easy configure my Snort ?

Sure.  The easiest thing to use to configure snort is the tool known as
"/usr/bin/vi".  :)

Not to get on a soapbox, but...  Don't use Webmin.  Make things work from
the command line first, _then_ make them work with some GUI.  If the
problem that you are having isn't with snort, but with Webmin then you
have no idea of that.  If you can get snort to work via command line, then
you can eliminate that from the list of possible problems.  The error you
show above points you to something in the Webmin config files to check.
Check that and see how it's set.  Also, is snort really running?  Check
the output of a 'ps -ef|grep snort' or 'ps -auxww|grep snort' and see if
it's there.

Hope that helps!

-----
Erek Adams