Snort mailing list archives

Re: snort 1.9.0 memleaking ?

From: Erek Adams <erek () theadamsfamily net>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 10:56:24 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 27 Nov 2002 pilsl () goldfisch at wrote:

I'm just a beginner with snort and installed it about one month ago on
a recent linux-system with postgresql-support and query the whole
stuff using acid.

Today I had to find that one of my two snort-processes on the gateway
takes up to 60MB (not shared) which is quite a lot even for a
520-machine.

Anyone seen something similar. By now I restarted the daemons and will
watch them more closely.

It's not a memleak.

It's stream4, conversation and portscan2.  They track connections and need
a lot of memory to keep all the info in.  You can change the memory usage
by setting the 'memcap' options in snort.conf for the preprocessor(s) in
question.  You can also drop the number of conversations that are stored
by using 'max_conversations'

Cheers!

-----
Erek Adams