Snort mailing list archives

WEB-CLIENT javascript URL host spoofing attempt

From: Shane Hickey <shane () howsyournetwork com>
Date: 26 Nov 2002 09:19:14 -0700

Howdy, I've been noticing this rule matching fairly regularly, so I did
some reading on the BugTraq site.  It seems to me that an exploit would
need to have "javascript://some.domain.com/" in the packet.  However,
the snort rule just matches "javascript\://".  It seems that this is
matching a lot of legitimate javascript?  Please keep in mind, though,
that I know nothing about javascript.  I'm also crappy with regular
expressions, but what would be the expression for matching
"javascript\://N" where N is anything but whitespace?

Shane