Snort mailing list archives

Re: Sniffing on eth0 and reseting on eth1

From: "Dave Thornburgh" <dave_thornburgh () hotmail com>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 13:01:09 -0800

"Chris Green" <cmg () snort org> wrote...
"¤" <nico33b () yahoo fr> writes:

Hello,

I would like to know if it is possible to start snort sniffing on a
specific ethernet interface (for example eth0) and configuring it to
send TCP_RST via another interface (for example eth1).

The libnet stuff follows default routing rules so that's actually the
way it has to work if eth0 is stealth :)

So, does that mean that if eth0 is stealth, and eth1 is connected to an
isolated snort-management-lan (not able to see the segment that eth0 is
connected to, and not connected into my main lan), that flex_resp resets
cannot be sent at all?  I was about to install a few sensors in our lan, but
since one of them will be outside the firewall and two of them will be in
DMZ's, I wanted to keep the logging to mysql (for ACID) and the SnortCenter
traffic in a disconnected lan - I thought that was the only way I'd be safe
from any of these boxes being hacked.  Have I missed something?  An earlier
message and response implied that the resets could go out the stealthed
interface.

Dave Thornburgh