Snort mailing list archives

RE: Help with SMTP Rule

From: "Hicks, John" <JHicks () JUSTICE GC CA>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 13:44:17 -0500

IMHO your setting yourself up for alot of traffic here. The way I read this
is, anything sent from HOME_NET to anything on port 25 that doesn't contain
'mail from|3a| @specificdomain.com'. This setup is sure to log every part of
the email being sent but the logon!

Despite the question of whether it can be done or not (
<http://www.snort.org/docs/writing_rules/chap2.html#tth_sEc2.3.9>
http://www.snort.org/docs/writing_rules/chap2.html#tth_sEc2.3.9), I don't
think it's what you want. I'd suggest modifying it using the previous
SMTP_Server rule you used and use somethign like this:

alert tcp $HOME_NET any -> !SMTP_SERVERS 25 (msg:"POLICY SMTP illegal Mail
From"; content:"mail from|3a| @specificdomain.com"; depth: 22;
classtype:misc-activity; nocase sid:1000005; rev:1;)

This should be able to catch any 'mail from|3a| @specificdomain.com' sent to
port 25 on system otehr than allowed SMTP_SERVERS.

HTH,
John