Snort mailing list archives

Re: Supper Firewall setup with IPFILTER and SNORT

From: Phil Dibowitz <phil () ipom com>
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2002 14:15:03 -0800

Damnit, hit the wrong button. As I was saying...

Jim here mentions more than one problem, and he's right, but *one* of
the problems I believe he is addressing is adding "flags S" to keep tcp
state rules. I've been hearing more and more reports that this isn't
necessary in the most recent versions of IPF. And while, if you have no
reason *NOT* to use it, it's probably a good idea anyway, if youhave
reasons to use it (like you want connections picked up in the middle
provided they come from inside) it *should* be possible these days to go
without the flags S on those rules. BUT they ARE (afaik) still certainly required for the return-rst rules.

--
Phil Dibowitz                             phil () ipom com
Freeware and Technical Pages              Insanity Palace of Metallica

 - Benjamin Franklin, 1759