Snort mailing list archives

Re: OpenSSH question

From: twig les <twigles () yahoo com>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 10:39:52 -0800 (PST)

Actually I'm trying to get the new stunnel to work
right now for mysql.  The syntax for 4.x is completely
different than 3.x so I'm kind of taking it in the
teeth on this one (repeatedly).  I'll post the configs
soon I hope.  If anyone else has done this I'd gladly
steal their config files.:)

--- Skip Carter <skip () taygeta com> wrote:

trying to log snort alerts to a remote mysql db
via openssh.  any ideas on
the configuration?

To port foward on a port over ssh, use something
like the following from the
IDS:

 ssh -L XXXX:dbserver.mydomain.com:XXXX
dbserver.mydomain.com

where XXXX is the mysql port number.

then on the IDS connect to the database at XXXX on
localhost.

The disadavantage of doing it this way is that it
requires you to login via
ssh to the database server from
the IDS.  A more practical approach is to use
stunnel (http://www.stunnel.org/
) to provide the equiavlent
without the ssh login session.  The stunnel docs
provide all the details.

--
 Dr. Everett (Skip) Carter      Phone: 831-641-0645
FAX:  831-641-0647

=====