Snort mailing list archives

Re: XML Log parsers

From: "Sleepy" <sleepy () maximumunix org>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 05:58:47 -0800

Hi,
This is good.
    thanks
First I have some queries.
1. From wher it is picking up alerts --- syslog or
MYSQL. If from sysolg then convert is into MYSQL.
       No, this is not from syslog, this is from the XML logs generated by
snort(in the logging section down in the snort.conf file)
    I can change it to connect to MySQL and get the data just like ACID,
except that I rather finish the XML format first. Maybe I ll do the MySQL
next release.
  does anyone know of win32 ACID like application?

2. Can it be made in such a way so that it can show
the  alerts with the summary attached so that the user
come to know about it.
 I dont understand what you mean by "summary" ? I am parsing the log file.
if you are talking about the alerts file and portscans then the answer is I
dont know yet.

3. Can it send email alerts if some specific alert is
generated.
   No, but someone is supposed to open the log and be looking at it, if you
guys think you should right click on an event and send it through email then
tell me and I ll work on it.

Thanks and Regards,

Atul Shrivastava

--- Sleepy <sleepy () maximumunix org> wrote:
Yes , I have a screenshot, go to

http://www.maximumunix.org/images/ScreenShotSnort.jpg

the only part left from the Grid is converting the
References to URL's,
should  be pretty easy.
it is fairly simple to make this project the next
ACID, I just wanna know if
people would like to have such a win32 utility,
please send all your
comments, thoughts and flame :-)

Cheers