Snort mailing list archives

RE: Starting SNORT

From: Michael Brown <mbrown () pathfire com>
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2002 10:36:38 -0400

Welcome newbie :P

home_net and external_net are like settings in your firewall home_net =
network segment you trust or your local lan, external_net = internet
connection or network segment you don't trust. this is the one that the
intruders and perps come through.

when you populate your trusting local lan information into home_net, snort
somewhat ignores that network to a certain degree. it mainly watch network
traffic coming in through external_net. therefore, all the other variables
like var dns_server $home_net, says to ignore dns traffic coming from my
trusting lan (home_net)

Michael
Pathfire