Snort mailing list archives

Help! computer crashes when running Snort (Win2k Pro)

From: "Moshe Aelion" <ma0934 () hotmail com>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 20:47:34 +0200

Hi everybody!

I am running a Win2k installation. I am suspecting an exploit, and trying to install and run Snort.

I've downloaded and installed  the Snort 1.9.0 binary for Win32 from the snort.org web site. I ran it (snort -v) and it
complained it can't find the winpcap.dll. I then installed WinPcap 3.0 alpha 4 from winpcap.polito.it. I went again
snort -v, and then the system turned belly up - blue death screen - saying something about driver IRQ. My computer is
an ICMP/NAT gateway, therefore it has two network cards- one going to the ADSL and one for the internal LAN.
I would be thankful for advice how to set it up. (And workaround the crash).

Thanks in advance

Moshe