Snort mailing list archives

Re: portscan destination port 137

From: twig les <twigles () yahoo com>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 11:27:41 -0800 (PST)

I'm even worse.  I block it at the border, turn off
anything netbios on the hosts, then use a host-based
packet filter to block 135-139 and 445 at least.  This
sounds pretty paranoid because it is.  Those ports are
a treasure-trove of information.  There are a bunch of
other things I like to do to my 2k box, but they are
out of scope for this list.  I just wanted to say this
stuff cause you could get rocked from the inside if
this stuff is accessible.

--- Eric Joe <sysop () tje1 com> wrote:

Since udp 137 is a well-known M$ port this could
be
normal, but it's worth checking.  No one with a
source
IP that you don't know should be hitting that port
anyway (to be frank, no one at all should be
hitting
that port).  So check the target for vulnerability
(file and print sharing, shares, non-renamed
administrator account....) and see if the source
is an
attacker.

It would be a very good idea to block this port all
together (along with
135 and 139) at your border router, then it becomes
a non issue and its
much safer for your users.

--
Eric Joe