Snort mailing list archives

HOME_NET, EXTERNAL_NET Configuration

From: "Parker, Ian" <parker.ian () syncrude com>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 11:34:16 -0700

I have three sensors in total, one on either side of the firewall and one on
a service network off the firewall. I have played around with different
permutations of HOME_NET and EXTERNAL_NET for each sensor, but I am still
not sure if I have the optimal configuration. Can somebody suggest a "best
practice" for setting these variables for a distributed sensor configuration
such as the one I have described?

Ian Parker, GCWN

Senior Systems Analyst
Upgrading Plant Computing