Snort mailing list archives

Re: Backup questions

From: Edin Dizdarevic <edin.dizdarevic () interActive-Systems de>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 09:29:50 +0100

Subba Rao wrote:
The few installations of snort I did in production environment had only the log file ("alerts") which Snort was writing too.  This file was
massaged and created neat/meaningful web pages and alerts were sent out to the admins.  At the end of the day I did backup the "alerts"
file to the backup (Tivoli) server and then copied /dev/null over "alerts" for the next day.

Now I plan to use the Snort + Acid combination. In this setup, Acid seems to use MySql (or other preffered SQL server). At the end of the day, I would like to backup these
> alerts/warnings for a few months.  In this case, what do I backup?
> There is no "alerts" file.  If it is the database, then what are
the database files that I need to backup? Once backup is done,

(AFAIK) You can't make a backup of a DC that way. You need to dump the
database to a file first. For MySQL see the tool "mysqldump" for this.
It should come with your MySQL installation.

> how do I clean up the DB for the next day alerts/warnings?

Once a day seems to me very short time period to clean up. I have
about 70000 alerts in one DB and do not see any reason (for now)
to clean up. Since ASCII files are beeing very good compressed,
the DB-dumps are still not that big.

Regards,

Edin_

--