Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort dies

From: Erek Adams <erek () theadamsfamily net>
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 14:21:53 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 7 Nov 2002, Peter Param wrote:

I've had a similar problem and I couldn't find any logging message for
clues until I started snort without any parameters in /etc/snort and
killed it after which I got...<file size exceeded.. stopping> or
something similar.  I archived the logs and restarted snort to fix this.
 Is there a parameter/code in snort that would delimit log file size?

Nope.  When Marty first wrote Snort, one thing that was stressed was that
Snort was 'lightweight'.  Now as time and things have changed, it's not
quite as light as it was, but it's till not a huge pig.  Oh, please pardon
the pun....  :)

To my knowledge, you're going to have to stop Snort and restart it each
time that you want to rotate your log files.  There might be a better way,
but that's the best suggestion that I can offer right now.

-----
Erek Adams
Nifty-Type-Guy
TheAdamsFamily.Net