Snort mailing list archives

icmp large packets & ASN.1 Attack

From: Robert Young <kwailoe () pacbell net>
Date: Wed, 06 Nov 2002 14:18:52 -0800

I am running snort -1.9.0 and it has oversite over a network of both
MAC  and  Windows machines.  I am  recieving a very large number of
detects on the icmp large packets rule more from inside my net than
out.  Does any one know if the large ICMP packets are a trait of the MAC
os 10.

Also recently I have been recieving detects as follows:

**115:5:1 (spp_ans1) ASN.1 Attacks: Datum length Packet Length **
11/05-01:50:56.340619 142.167.70.156 4251 > 208.209.130.2 161
UDP TTL:114 TOS )x28 ID 20774 IPlen:20 Dgmlen 265.

I checked and the ASN1 preprocessor is still experimental.  however, I
received thousands of detects each second and after three hours the
snort alert log grew from 0 to 2,147,483,647 in size.   The snort box
has crashed several times and indicates it is due to the packets
exceeding an authorized length.  I have shut the preprocessor  off and
blocked the IP addresses sending the traffic.  Can any one explain what
the traffic may be.

Thanks for any input

Bob Young