Snort mailing list archives

FW: [Barnyard-users] BarnYard output reversing IP octets in outpu t

From: Joel Healy <Joel.Healy () amphenderson co nz>
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2002 12:31:05 +1300

FYI... read inline..  this worked.

cheers

joel

-----Original Message-----
From: Andrew R. Baker [mailto:andrewb () snort org]
Sent: Wednesday, November 06, 2002 9:23 AM
To: Joel Healy
Cc: Barnyard Users (E-mail)
Subject: Re: [Barnyard-users] BarnYard output reversing IP octets in
output

Joel Healy wrote:
Hi,
I have been looking at BarnYard and have noticed that it is writing to
logs
with the IP Addresses with the octets reversed.. eg: d.c.b.a:1065 ->
d.c.b.a:80

how can i stop this from happening, after reading through barnyard.conf
fairly thoroughly i can not see anything relevant, and the command line
options do not appear to be related to this issue...

I am using Hogwasg v0.4 (with snort v1.8.6) with BarnYard 0.1.0 rc3 (build
11).

I cannot be sure without verifying, but I would say that Hogwash has not
been updated with some fixes to the unified output plugin that were
introduced in 1.9 (and I think 1.8.7).  The bug was that Snort would
write out all the IP addresses byteswapped from what Barnyard expects to
read.  Compare the unified output plugin from Snort 1.9 with what you
have in Hogwash and see if there are any differences.  You should be
able to copy spo_unified.c from Snort 1.9.0 over to Hogwash without any
issues (unless the Howgwash people made changes that I am unaware of).

-A

(This e-mail message and any accompanying attachments may contain
information that is confidential and subject to legal privilege. If you are
not the intended recipient, do not read, use, disseminate, distribute or
copy this message or attachments.  If you have received this message in
error, please delete the message and, if convenient, inform the sender as
soon as possible.)