Snort mailing list archives

FreeBSD forwarding frames to snort box?

From: Shane Hickey <shane () howsyournetwork com>
Date: 05 Nov 2002 08:50:05 -0700

Howdy all, I am currently replacing my Cisco PIX with a FreeBSD box with
3 NICs.  I'm a little new to FreeBSD (being mostly a linux person), but
here's what I want to do.  I want to configure the FreeBSD box to use
ipfilter between the outside and inside interface, but I want it to
forward all the ethernet frames it receives on the outside interface to
it's 3rd interface (which is a connection to my Snort box).

Because of the type of wireless bridge I'm using, I can't just put a hub
between my bridge and the freebsd box and configure the snort box to be
in stealth mode.  I could do it with network taps, but I don't want to
shell out $500 or so and there aren't any on eBay right now.  Anyway, if
someone could let me know if what I'm trying to do is possible, that'd
be great!

Thanks,
Shane